Keeping Your Pets Safe Throughout the Holidays

The holidays are such a delightful time of year, filled with happy anticipation and joyous celebrations with family and friends. There are trees all a glitter with lights and ornaments and tinsel, too. This time of year can be especially hazardous for our pets so it’s important to keep a close eye out on what they’re up to. Help your pets celebrate the season this year whether you’re at home or in one our holiday vacation rentals by protecting them from these holiday hazards:

Keeping Your Pets Safe Throughout the Holidays

* Mistletoe, holly, poinsettias and Christmas lilies are all toxic to pets. If you’re using holiday plants to decorate your dining table, move them to a location that’s out of reach to pets.

* Tape down electrical cords for holiday lights to prevent your pets for chewing on them out of boredom. Always unplug tree lights before leaving home.

* Secure your Christmas tree to the wall or ceiling to prevent it from falling on pets or with them in it. Cats are curious enough that many try climbing up inside looking for a comfortable place to sit.

* Never allow pets to drink water from the Christmas tree holder.

Keeping Your Pets Safe Throughout the Holidays

* Keep tinsel and other ornaments well out range of pets. Cats in particular like to play with tinsel, and some will eat it, which will block their intestines. Pets can mistake ornaments for toy balls, and shards from broken glass ornaments can cause injury to mouths and paws.

* To reduce stress, maintain the normal routines of your pets whether traveling or entertaining at home. Even when vacationing walk your dogs as you always do. Serve their meals at regular times and make sure fresh water is always available to them.

Keeping Your Pets Safe Throughout the Holidays

* Many holiday foods that are fine for people can make pets seriously ill. Macadamia nuts can cause muscular weakness, depression, vomiting, disorientation, tremors, abdominal pain and muscle stiffness in dogs. Chocolate can be fatal; ingesting as little as 1/4 ounce can cause vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, hyperactivity and increase thirst, urination and heart rate. Be safe and keep these items up and out of reach.

Whether you’re staying home this holiday or traveling, there’s no reason your pets can’t have a safe and merry Christmas, too!

Share

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *