For first-time parents vacationing with a baby there are some things you need to know to ensure your baby is happy and safe. When you make your reservations for one of our vacation rentals be sure you let us know if you will be bringing your baby along. Some rentals come with baby equipment (cribs, highchairs, play yards, etc.) at no extra charge. When you’re browsing different properties check the list of amenities to be sure baby gear is available. If not, you’ll need to either bring your own, rent some locally or choose one of our other rental properties.
With a little well-planned effort, vacationing with your baby can be a pleasant and fun-filled event. Honest! Just remember that as long as your baby’s basic needs are met they’ll be pretty happy to go anywhere you’re going. Just be sure to keep them on their eating and sleeping schedule and all should work out well.
Here are some tips that may help you with your plans for traveling with your baby. You’ll probably find that some of our vacation rentals are more suitable to a family with a baby than others so take your time and look over what we have.
- Choosing the Best Time. Try to schedule your flights when the baby normally naps. Walk and play with the baby while in the airport. More energy exerted while off the plane will be less energy the baby exerts while on the plane. Your fellow passengers will thank you.
- Keep to a Schedule. While you’re on vacation try to maintain the schedule you have at home as closely as possible. That means the time you wake up and go to sleep, the time you eat meals, and when naptime is. Don’t throw caution to the wind just because you’re on vacation. Your baby doesn’t know the difference and won’t understand the change.
- Bring baby’s favorites. If your baby is used to a musical stuffed animal at bedtime, a special blanket, pacifier or certain toys, be sure to bring them along on vacation with you.
- Ask First. Does the rental where you’ll be staying provide sleeping arrangements for babies? Ask about car seats from the car rental agency, too.
- Stay Calm. Don’t stress out getting ready for your trip. Stay calm, move slowly, and the baby will stay relaxed.
- Less is More. With babies the rule really is “Less is more.” Don’t over stimulate the baby. Provide a quiet and comfortable space for them to take their naps and if needed, lay down with them. Afternoon naps improve the chances of a quality evening but don’t let them sleep an excessive amount of time.
- Use Sunscreen. Because you’re visiting a coastal location be sure to keep babies out of the midday sun. Dress them in hats and lightweight clothing. Apply sunscreen to any areas of skin showing and consider renting a cabana or sun tent to shield everyone from the sun.
- Babyproof Everything. If your baby is mobile, be sure to baby proof your accommodations immediately upon arriving.
Follow these tips and there is no reason why you can’t have a wonderful time with your baby on your vacation. Once your accommodations have been fully baby proofed you can get on with the pleasure of having an enjoyable and relaxing beach vacation as a family. If we can answer any questions you may have about your upcoming vacation please don’t hesitate to call us at Holden Beach Vacations at 800-720-2200 or 910-842-6061.