Every year in late October the popular North Carolina Festival by the Sea event takes place in Holden Beach. This year the festival will be held from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 24 and from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 25. It’s open to all residents and vacationers alike!
This 2-day festival begins with a jubilant parade that proceeds down the Holden Beach Causeway on Saturday. This is the only day of the year that you can walk across the bridge to Holden Beach.
During the festival, there will be arts & crafts vendors open all day, both days. Full-filled events will be taking place like a horseshoe tournament and a sandcastle-building contest. Everyone is invited to participate!
If you’re entering the sandcastle building contest here are some tips to help you increase your chances of winning:
1. Use moist sand!
2. Build towers using funnels and shovels.
3. Bring tools such as plastic cutlery to add details to towers such as carving the roofs, making walkways and creating windows.
4. Create a wall connecting the towers.
5. Add details to the wall with a smaller tool like a knife.
6. Create steps going up to the tower.
7. Carefully dig out an arched doorway in the middle of the castle wall.
8. Stand back and admire a job well done but try to be humble!
A special treat for children will be the face painting, huge kites flying overhead and children’s rides and amusements.
And last but not at all least — bring your dancing shoes because there will be live musical entertainment both days at the Holden Beach Pavilion. All of us at Alan Holden Vacations hope to see you there!